Wednesday, June 1, 2011

May 31st night

Since I didn't get a chance to write about my night I am going to give y'all an update before I head to class. Before I start, if anyone wants to read an older post, just click the older posts link below the posts.

After taking a four hour nap from 3-7 and finally catching up on sleep (although I missed an apparently boring city tour given by CEA) some other CEA folks and I met up with the Spainards again. The one I met in Oklahoma, Magin (pronounced Maheen), brought some more friends and they took us all to a local place to eat tapas. The only one I recognized from last night was Xavi (not the soccer player), and the others who ate tapas were Javi and Luis. They took us to what was probably a very local place, but it was very good! We all drank sangria and the tapas were amazing! No doubt everyone knows I'm a bit of a picky eater, so I have been trying to go outside my comfort zone on this trip. If I remember correctly we ate 7 different tapas, and they were all very good. The best was easily the ham on bread with a sort of tomato paste spread over the bread. Apparently that is a favorite among Spainards, and for good reason too. They're very proud of the ham. It looks a lot like bacon, but its more flexible and much much better. Also, the place we ate dinner was near a famous symphony hall in Barcelona. It did rain starting around 5pm, but it really didn't bother anyone. It's much more fun to hang out with the Spainards than Americans, because they all know what is safe and are giving all of us tips on how to stay safe in Barcelona, and it feels a lot safer traveling around the city with locals (mom, that's for you).

After dinner, we proceeded to go to the same club from the night before (Shoko), and I did my best to stay up to see the mavs game, but I missed the end. It's actually really funny to hear the Spainards talk about basketball, because they love Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol.

I said it yesterday, but Barcelona is amazing. Everyone here is extremely nice and not snooty like other Europeans. They actually love to speak english because they love practicing it, but this is a problem since I want to improve my Spanish. I also found out yesterday that my class is one block away from Las Ramblas, a very touristy but exciting part of Barcelona.

¡Hasta Luego!


2 comments:

  1. So, do you think you'll be happy coming back to the dusty plains? - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you try tortilla de patatas yet? That's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete